“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall” Confucius
“Fall 7 times rise for 8” Japanese Proverb
We are all facing unprecedented times, changes that are out of our control. We are being told that we must face these times with resilience.
Why is it Important to be Resilient?
Resilient people are able to use their skills and strengths to cope and recover from knockbacks and challenges. Resilient people bend instead of breaking under pressure. If you lack resilience you may become overwhelmed by these experiences and your health and wellbeing may be impacted
“The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists” Japanese Proverb
What is Resilience?
Are some people born more resilient than others? Can we learn to be more resilient?
“The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties, the ability to recover from and adjust easily to misfortune or change”
“A persons ability to bounce back after a setback”
To have resilience you need to withstand the pressures and demands within your environment and ultimately thrive in it.
Some people appear to be born with certain personality traits that make them appear to be more resilient but the good news is that psychologists have identified methods and strategies that increase our resilience and enable us to have coping strategies to overcome crisis and misfortune and help you build your inner strength.
10 Hints and Tips to Strengthen Your Resilience:
- Resilient people choose their Response-We all experience crises in our lives, but how we respond is up to us. We can choose to remain calm and look for a solution.
- Resilient people never give up- Continuous effort hold the key to success, If at first you don’t succeed try and try again, never lose hope.
- Resilient people practice Gratitude- Take time to acknowledge what is good in your life. This floods the body with feel-good hormones.
- Resilient people make time for fun- The more we are under pressure the less time we put aside for fun, it is important to still do the things we love
- Resilient people keep to a regular sleep pattern- Sleep keeps us mentally and physically strong
- Resilient people get comfortable with being uncomfortable- If we stay within our comfort zone we never grow, we need to step out of our comfort zone to develop and grow
- Resilient people learn from failure- Ask yourself questions, What did I do right? What could I have done better? What are the lessons here?
- Resilient people make the most of every situation– When life gives you lemons make lemonade”
- Resilient people understand that there is a strong connection between what we eat and how we feel. It is important to look after your diet. Good food, Good Mood.
- Resilient people spend time with people who are positive and help them feel less isolated and alone. Positivity and negativity is contagious!
Building Resilience Training Course
If you are looking for tips and advice on being resilient and learn more about resilience, take a look at our Building Resilience training course where you can find more like this. We deliver our building resilience training course as an online virtual or in-person training course.